9 Ways to Get the Smell Of Urine out of the House [Updated]
With children, pets, and aging loved ones around it really becomes a huge task to keep the house clean. The real challenge sets in; when your pets, children, or an aging loved one happen to accidentally urinate on your bed or carpets. This is when the actual task of cleaning the stains and driving away the smell of urine begins. However, we cannot always put the blame on children or pets. Sometimes it may so happen that, our aging loved ones are not able to go to the washroom quickly. And happen to urinate on the bed or in their clothes. The smell of adult urine is really terrible and the odor tends to linger on. Whatever be the case, cleaning up the urine is not a joke.
Easy Ways to Remove the Smell of Urine
Whether it is the smell of fresh urine or an old one, driving its smell away can really become a difficult task. Here is what you can do:
1. Clean the area with a towel or paper towel. It is always best to immediately clean the area using a towel or paper towel. Wipe the area until no urine remains. You can even make use of old newspapers to soak as much urine as possible. Simply place several sheets of newspapers in the affected area to soak up the maximum amount of urine at one go. Repeat the process until the area is dry.
2. Use soap and water. Once the entire area is cleaned, it is necessary that you use water to thoroughly clean the area.
3. Use a sanitizing liquid. It is best to use a sanitizing liquid in your towel during the final round of cleaning. You can purchase any branded sanitizer from the stores, or you can even make one at your home.
4. Use a black light. This will ensure that you can see any stains that you might have missed during the cleaning process. While using the black light, mark the areas of stain with chalk, so that you don’t miss out the stains this time.
5. Use a wet vac with lukewarm water. You should always avoid using hot liquids directly on the affected area of the carpet. Using lukewarm water to wet vac the affected area is ideal. In case you do not have a wet vac, it is always a good idea to rent one.
6. Mix baking soda, peroxide and dish detergent. Make a solution of baking soda, peroxide and any dish detergent of your choice. The combination of these 3 is powerful enough to drive away even the strongest of urine smells. Mix together 8 fl oz. of peroxide, with 3 tbsp. of baking soda and a few drops of dish detergent. Spray the mixture onto the affected area and allow it to sit for 10 – 20 minutes. Later on, brush the area and you will find out that the smell is gone.
7. Vinegar. This is another good alternative to drive away strong urine smell from home. All you need to do is directly spray-undiluted vinegar on the affected area. Leave it for 15 – 20 minutes. Later on, you can even brush off, to drive away the remnants.
8. Homemade spray. You can even try this homemade solution to remove the smell of urine from carpets and floors. All you would need is a tsp. of baking soda, vinegar, ½ a tsp. of orange essential oil and about 5 ounces of hydrogen peroxide. Spray the prepared mixture onto the affected area. Let it dry completely. Upon drying, you would notice powder remnants, which you can clean up with your vacuum cleaner. If the smell of the urine still persists, then you can repeat the process twice or even a third.
9. Commercial urine cleaners. This contains powerful enzymes in them. They are extremely helpful in removing strong urine odors and the toughest of stains. These enzymes work on the stains and odor-causing molecules and break them down. These cleaners are great if you have aging loved ones in your home.
Urine-Off Multi-Purpose Spray is a great product to get rid of those foul smelling odors and stains from furniture or bathroom areas that have been in contact with urine. This spray can be used as both a pre-treat and cleaner. If you have any older pets that may be incontinent, this spray is a lifesaver!
"This product helped through my Mom's last years. It is just wonderful! When my little buddy (dog) started into his last chapters of life I reached for Urine-Off (Multi-Purpose Spray) once again, but the bottle was almost empty. Time to REORDER! No need to shop around...this product works." - K9LOVER
Urine-Off Laundry Pre-Treat Spray is used primarily for clothing, washable bed pads, or fabric surface areas at home.
"I bought this a month ago and I'm very happy that I did. I do actually use it instead of a spot cleaning the urine stains I actually pour a cup into the laundry and let the clothes soak and it helps out a whole lot!" - Cali from Kentucky
All the above-mentioned tips are sure to help you remove urine odor from your house. In order to have a happy and wonderful smelling home. We all have accidents from time to time, but knowing how to handle it will make life much easier.