The 5 Most Important Questions to Ask Yourself When Selecting an Adult Plus Sized Diaper
Do you know your current waist measurement? Som people may not know. It's important to know waist and hip measurements when selecting an adult diaper. Some people fall into various sizing ranges depending on the brand. If you're looking for a plus size adult diaper you'll want to be prepared in asking yourself the right questions. Fortunately, NorthShore offers larger sizes in fitted briefs and absorbent underwear. What is the best bariatric adult diaper for you? These questions will help you better select the appropriate product.
1. What is my current waist/hip measurement? - This is one of the most important questions to ask yourself. Adult diaper brands vary across the board with sizes, so be sure to measure first rather than guess your 'size'. Many men and women know their pant size, but accurate waist and hip measurements are needed to ensure proper sizing for incontinence products. You may be an extra-large in one brand of diapers, but a large in another.
Tip - It’s important to measure the widest part of your waist and your hip for the most accuate size. For instructions on how to measure correctly, refer to our infographic here.
NorthShore Adult Diapers Offered in Larger Sizes
NorthShore AirSupreme Briefs - Offering up to 8 hours of protection, these breathable briefs are availbe in the extra large and 2XL sizes (waist measurements ranging from 60 to 80 inches).
NorthShore GoSupreme Underwear - Absorbent, form-fitting underwear offering protection for bowel and urinary containment. Built with secure leg openings, these underwear are ideal for individuals who have slim legs.
NorthShore FlexSupreme Underwear - Superior protection underwear offers up to 8 hours of protection for heavy urinary incontinence. FlexSupreme offers a flexible stretch-panel waistband which stays close to the body when wet.
2. How much absorbency do I need? – Am I having full urinary and/or bowel voids? According to Healthline.com, an adult can have an output of urine anywhere from 400 to 2,000 mililiters daily. This is equivalent to around 67 fluid ounces of the latter. Bariatric products (depending on the size) can hold anywhere from 24-38 ounces. If this is just an infrequent issue with small to moderate voids, then you may only need to use a liner that can be worn in regular underwear.
Tip - Monitor during what time of the day you’re experiencing leakage. Log this information daily, and notice any patterns you might see. Discuss an abnormalities with your physician.
3. What style of adult diaper suits my lifestyle? – For individuals who are bedridden or wheelchair bound, a fitted brief may be the easiest product to change due to the refastenable hook or tape tabs. Individuals who are active may prefer the pull-on style underwear that resembles regular underwear. These pull-ups offer a comfortable elastic waistband which offers comfort and security.
Tip –Tranquility Bariatric Brief offers a Hi-Rise option that provides comfort and security for individuals who have skin folds around the stomach and lower abdomen.
4. What other products are available to me in larger sizes? – Depending on how much protection you need, there are underpads, diaper covers and booster pads that can help for additional protection. NorthShore booster pads are also great to have when using a fitted-brief or pull-on underwear, especially outside the house. These flow-through pads boost absorbency when they are placed inside disposable products. NorthShore's booster pads come in sizes from XL all the way up to a XXL.
Tip – When selecting a diaper cover size, make sure to measure around the thigh, this is the most important measurement for this product. Leaks occur mostly in this area, so it should be as secure as possible.
5. What makes me the most comfortable? To find the best bariatric adult diaper, we recommend to sample the products first. Is the leg area too loose when standing? Are the tabs cutting in too your hips when seated? Make sure to be aware of how you feel when wearing the product.
Tip - Request a sample to try of these products by calling us at (800) 563-0161. Most of the products mentioned in the article are available as a sample.
We understand it can be difficult to find plus size adult diapers, but NorthShore has options for individuals of all sizes. NorthShore's brand of briefs and pull-ons offer superior absorbency, fit and comfort. Stay protected with the right product, we can help.
Shop our absorbent briefs and pull-ons or call us at (800) 563-0161.
We're always happy to help!